Commercial Lighting Analysis and Help!

Arthur Woo

Hi all,

I'm shooting something similar to this, haven't been able to quite get the same light in my tests. It looks like the key light isn't too far off from the practicals so I've been trying a few different things.

Not sure how they got the key to fall off so quickly from the background and control the light so much, but still cover her entire body.

Also need advice on how to get such soft shadows. I've tried bouncing light off foamcore, a bit too much spill...regular chimera softbox with both baffles is still a little hard on the shadows. Any other suggestions? 750 open face is the biggest light I have for the project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGIgQPQlLp4

Edited by Arthur Woo

• Premium Member

Just looks like a large soft light inside a dark room -- the walls of the space look like they are very dark wood or painted very dark, so the lighting doesn't need to be flagged completely off of them to get that look. I don't even think it was a really big soft light, there are still defined shadows on her. Probably something like a 6'x6' diffusion frame in size with an egg crate grid in front perhaps.

You could try bouncing into a bed sheet and use some 4x4 floppies to control the spill.

Thanks for the insight David. I didn't think about a combination of a grid and large frame.

The Chimera softbox I have is relatively small, it's 2x3 ft., usually used for interviews or beauty shots so it's not really enough to cover an entire body, at least in the way that the model in the example above has her body positioned. I'll try a larger diffusion frame... bringing in some floppies if necessary. We're shooting in a relatively small space, so we might not have the room for the floppies + support.

Edited by Arthur Woo