C300 vs RED Scarlet

So I've got a big project coming up where I was planning to shoot on the C300 for 3 days. But recently was able to work as a camera assistant with the Scarlet, and after now seeing as they are both almost the same renting price I'm not sure which I should go with. I've also only assisted with the Scarlet, never shot with it.

Does the RAW and 2 stop difference on the Scarlet really make a difference? But also having to get tons more cards and batteries to go with it? What other possible pros and cons should I be looking at?

It's subjective, rent both cameras and try them out.

Not sure what "two stop" difference you're referring to. Both have a similar base ISO and equally as much dynamic range when treated properly in post. Ok... Red claims 13.5 stops, but every reliable test puts both at about 12. That's still a lot.

I have my own biases, but you can do good work with both. I find the post workflow on Red to be unpleasant UNLESS your post house is very comfortable with it or you're shooting yourself with a system designed for it. I also find that Canon's cameras are much cleaner at extreme ISOs than the competition. You can punch in more with the Scarlet and adjust white balance in post better, etc.

The C300 is a good documentary/ENG-style camera for a small crew and the Scarlet isn't as good for that. Obviously the Scarlet has a nice resolution advantage for vfx.

• Upvote 1