Where do I rent panavision lenses if I do not live in NY or LA?

Matthew Glover

Very curious. I want to shoot a short film and I am doing it on Kodak vision 3 stock. It will be about 11 minutes long. Already have the camera body, but would love to use some panavision glass. Also I heard that in order to use panavision lenses you also have to rent their camera bodies. Is this true? I plan on shooting on the Arri LT by the way.

If you don't own the camera, there's a chance that Panavision has some converted Arricam LT's for rent with PV mounts, so ask them. Otherwise, the Panaflex Millennium XL is the closest thing to an Arricam LT.

Is there a reason why most people shooting film tend to lean more torwards the Millenium than the Arricam Lts? Is it really just down to the lens choices in the end?

• Premium Member

I don't think people lean towards or aways from a Millennium XL versus an Arricam LT, it's more a matter of whether they want to use Panavision cameras and lenses or not; if not, they are likely to want to use Arricams and PL-mount lenses. Also, if you want to use Zeiss Master Primes, you would use a PL-mount camera, I don't believe they clear the shutter in a Panaflex.

One advantage to Panaflexes is that the mirror shutter is farther from the film plane, allowing you to use behind-the-lens ND gels, which makes it easier for the operator to see the image in the viewfinder on a bright day.

Very curious. I want to shoot a short film and I am doing it on Kodak vision 3 stock. It will be about 11 minutes long. Already have the camera body, but would love to use some panavision glass. Also I heard that in order to use panavision lenses you also have to rent their camera bodies. Is this true? I plan on shooting on the Arri LT by the way.

You can rent incredible lenses in PL mount. Cooke S4's are widely available in that format for example!

Theres also plenty available from Zeiss. No need to go the panavision route.

Freya