agents

Louis

I was reading an article in AC magazine the other day, and the DP in the article happened to mention that his agent persuaded him to take a certain job. This is the first I've heard of a DP having an agent. Is this a fairly common practice, or is it only for the DPs who do huge Hollywood movies all the time and can afford one?

A very high percentage of "working" DPs have agents, it's quite common and almost expected. The vast bulk of guys who shoot commercials for instance have agents, and certainly the ones that shoot Hollywood features have agents.

There is of course the famous Catch 22, no agent without "big time" experience, no "big time" experience without an agent.

There are many roads up this mountain, if there was one magic way every one would use it.

Richard

Guest fstop

There are exceptions to the rule: Roger Pratt, B.S.C. had never had an agent up until AFTER he had shot Tim Burton's Batman! You'll notice that his name is absent from the movie poster, because he didn't have anyone representing him, even though production designer Anton Furst and editor Ray Lovejoy were both credited on the advertising. Terry Gilliam claims Pratt was paid a laughable amount too for that picture. Gilliam actually went out of his way to get Pratt a decent rate on the Fisher King.

Edited by fstop

The largest advantage I hear about agents is the DP doesn't have to haggle with production about money.

You are free to talk about the asthetics of the project and free from arguing about money, meals, hotel room, movie poster title, etc.

• Premium Member

I got an agent after my thirteenth feature, nearly five years ago, mainly because she saw "Twin Falls Idaho" and wanted to rep me. I basically found out that you get an agent when they want you, not the other way around.

They are great for negotiating contracts, getting your rate up, playing multiple offers off of each other, sending out your reel, etc.

David,

It seems that every DOP agent I come in contact with is a woman, have you found this to be a trend in LA as well?

Gee it took 13 features eh? So the Catch 22 I described is alive and well.

Richard

Do these agents represent DPs only, or do they also represent other types of people as well?

DP, Directors, Actors, Production Designers, Music Composers...

Almost everyone needs an agent...

It easier to let someone else be the vicious conniving greedy bastard

And make you seem like the good guy. :)

Actually agents aren't vicious, conniving, bastards...they can be really nice.

The more you know... :)