Follow Focus gears

Hello,

I'm considering a follow focus for my cam and I'm wondering if the gear teeth are all pretty standard. I haven't noticed much comment on variations, so would most work?

Also, why the huge huge range in price? Not looking for anything super high end but I see things from $150 to several thousand.

Kinda surprising.

Thanks,

P

Most FF have 0.8 pitched gears but there are other variations as well.

Regarding price, of course most of the time you get what you've paid for. Nonetheless I think that new manufacturers brought great products at a reasonable price/performance ratio recently.

What you are after in a FF is how good are the tolerances and mechanics of it mostly. That will imply the amount of lag you'll be getting when your AC pulls focus on it. Besides that some offer the ability to do single and double (AB), stop marks, removable marking discs and reversed gear for non cine-standard rotation lenses like Nikons and Zeiss ZFs.

I have bought a Lanpart FF. Their top of the line one with damped mesh and reversed gear. This one also has a quick release rod clamp that allows you to pull it off or clamp it in without removing any other bits already on your rods.

With the reversing gear it will cost you roughly 500 UK Pounds and I can say that I'm very happy with it.

Edited by Alexandre de Tolan

Thanks, Alexandre.

Yes I understand the "you get what you pay for" aspect of these things, however there seems to have been a major market shift in the last few years that puts higher quality products in a price range that independents can afford. Gadgets that used to be relegated to industry professional are available to the average joe. Exciting times, really.

With that in mind, I don't see enough difference in a $3,000 FF with the Arri name on it over the Lanparte unit you mentioned.

At least not for my needs.

(…)With that in mind, I don't see enough difference in a $3,000 FF with the Arri name on it over the Lanparte unit you mentioned.

At least not for my needs.

I'm with you on that one. Lanparte FF has very good damping and zero play. AB stops are a nice addition and the quick release system is very very handy for an indie filmmaker who most of the times uses photo lenses with non matching focus barrel distances between the set.