Aspheron 5666, is it for MKI or MKII and III Zeiss

Re the Aspheron 5666 for the 9.5 and 12mm Zeiss distagons (S16 T1.3 super speeds).....

Was this Aspheron made for the MKI Zeiss distagons or for for the MKII/III . I think the MKI distagon has a smaller front. Were there different clamp brackets so that one could mount the Aspheron 5666 on a MKI and also on the later MKs with 80mm fronts?

Any clues?

Cheers,

Gregg

As far as I can remember without the kit in front of me, the kit I use with the Aspheron is a Distagon MK3. That's just comparing it to pictures online, but the MK1 and 2 really don't look similar to the MK3, so I believe that what I said is accurate.

• Premium Member

Hi Gregg,

the one we have is for MK2 or 3 Super Speeds, with 80mm clamps for the 9.5, 12 and 1.8/10-100. In theory nothing would stop you making an intermediate spacer ring to clamp onto the 70mm fronts of the wide MK1s.

Like other wide angle adapters from that era (Mutar 0.6x, Panaspheron etc) there is a lot of introduced CA and corner softness even stopped right down, so don't expect great image quality using these things.

• Premium Member

So what do people use if they want to go wider and match the Zeiss super speeds?

I don't know about matching, but for professional grade S16 the 6mm Century is very good, or the 5.7 Kinoptik Tegea for a fixed focus, or a good wide zoom like Canon 7-63 or Angenieux 7-81. Newer lenses like Cooke SK4s or Zeiss Ultra 16s get down to 6mm. I think people used those aspherons back in the day because there weren't many other options.