My trip to Kodak

• Premium Member

I just got back from my trip back east (one week in Philly color-correcting "Shadowboxer", followed by two weeks of vacation with my wife in New York).

My wife and I took a train trip from NYC to Rochester to see Kodak and the George Eastman House Museum... and John Pytlak was gracious enough to arrange an inside tour of the museum's inner sanctum and its archive work, plus a trip over to a Kodak factory where they make the Estar base (not much reason to try and "see" manufacturing work involving emulsion application since it takes place in the dark!)

Fascinating stuff and the quality control involved in making these products to the tolerances required for motion picture work is pretty staggering.

Was surprised to hear that the motion picture film manufacturing business is growing, not shrinking, at something like 10% a year, mainly due to the higher and higher print orders for features as they try and release a movie simultaneously in theaters worldwide -- I thought 4,000 prints was the top order these days but I hear figures can be as high as 12,000 prints being made for one release!

Anyway, thanks John!

• Premium Member

Thank you David. I really enjoyed meeting you and Lisle, and hosting your day in Rochester. As I told you, I always enjoy accompanying guests on tours of Kodak's manufacturing facility, as I too am always impressed with the skill and dedication of our manufacturing folks to this wonderful business.

Ah!

So we can now mark David as one who has been "processed" by Kodak.

Only kidding :)

Film manufacture at Rochester is indeed a fascinating sight to (not) see. I suspect if more of the disciples of digital video were to take the tour they would be less scathing about the "antiquated" "guesswork" that they sometimes attribute to film.

You are lucky. I'd love to see George Eastman House. Its previous curator of motion pictures, Paolo Cherchi Usai, is now running the National Film & Sound Archive here in Australia. Judging by what I know here, you have visited a very fine institution.

David,

Did you have a chance to see the Diane Arbus retrospective at the Met?

I saw last weekend it was pretty good...

And the Max Ernst retrospective was also stunning...

I'm planning on seeing the Basquiat retrospective at the BMA

I hear it's equally amazing.

It amazing the things that are always happening in NYC

And most of the time average folks just spend it drinking and clubbing