16mm one light transfers

Guest thomas rasera

Guest thomas rasera

i was curious if anyone knew of anywhere in LA (or anywhere else for that matter) where i could get a decently priced and quality one light transfer of standard 16mm to mini DV. i'm shooting some 100ft. daylight spools on a K3 and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for telecine.

also, just to be clear, a 1 light transfer means that they will transfer it exactly how i shot it right?

thanks.

• Premium Member
i was curious if anyone knew of anywhere in LA (or anywhere else for that matter) where i could get a decently priced and quality one light transfer of standard 16mm to mini DV.  i'm shooting some 100ft. daylight spools on a K3 and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for telecine. 

also, just to be clear, a 1 light transfer means that they will transfer it exactly how i shot it right?

thanks.

Here is Kodak's on-line list of film-to-video transfer facilities:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...=0.1.4.15&lc=en

You can certainly look up their websites, or get on the phone. Of course, finding others here who are pleased with a facility is also a good way to go.

Yes, a "one light" transfer means no scene-to-scene correction. However, they may choose a "best light" for the entire roll, so you need to specify the "look" you want (e.g., do you want an underexposed roll transferred dark, or corrected to "normal" as best they can?).

• Premium Member

thanks.

Unfortunately not! It means they set up the first scene to look O.K. to their eyes and roll the machine. If you wanted a moody scene they would probably lift it to 'normal'. Its not the same as print 25-25-25 and don't help me!

Ideally you need to put a grey chart, grey scale or color chart on the front of the roll and ask to grade to the chart!

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com