digital dailies

Louis

So I've been reading American Cinematographer, and I've heard something called "digital dailies". What exactly is that? Is it something you have to decide on doing while shooting, or can you get them after you shoot, but before you make negatives? Is it more or less expensive than regular 1-light dailies? I dunno, I'm starting from scratch with this post stuff.

Digital dailies are normally either HD or DVD.

Is it cheaper to get them put on HD or DVD than making regular 1-light dailies? Is the negative printed fiirst, then transfered to HD/DVD without making an actual print first, or how does it work?

• Premium Member

For those of us shooting features in film on low budgets, "digital dailies" is an odd term because we've been getting mostly video dailies for years and this is just a new term of the same old thing -- i.e. not getting film dailies.

What they tend to be talking about are bigger-budgeted films that traditionally would get film dailies opting to get their dailies on HD video (usually) instead, perhaps even digitally projecting them. Usually these are films planning a DI anyway so an electronic daily is not that inaccurate (hopefully) considering the final project will be a scan off of the negative as well. But people used to film dailies have a hard time with digital dailies because of the variables that can be introduced, making it hard to know exactly what you have been shooting.