Matching DVX100A to PD170

Dan Salzmann

I will be on a 2 camera shoot with these cameras and would like to know if anyone has set up the DVX100AE to give as similar a rendition as possible to the PD170.

I would like to get the images as close as possible "in camera".

Any thoughts,pointers?

I will be on a 2 camera shoot with these cameras and would like to know if anyone has set up the DVX100AE to give as similar a rendition as possible to the PD170.

I would like to get the images as close as possible "in camera".

Any thoughts,pointers?

It's so tough, getting non-Sony cameras to match up with Sony. I've never had very good luck with it. I'm kinda curious about this too.

• Premium Member
It's so tough, getting non-Sony cameras to match up with Sony. I've never had very good luck with it. I'm kinda curious about this too.

Sony cameras render color so differently it's all but impossible to cut different cameras seamlessly, even after an extensive color correction. I've done many shoots with my XL1s and an additional PD-150/170 and they almost never match up. So what I end up doing is going for a different style with the other camera. A style that doesn't conflict, mind you, but works differently in terms of framing and often information. If it's not going to match up, don't try and make it match up.

Sony cameras render color so differently it's all but impossible to cut different cameras seamlessly, even after an extensive color correction. I've done many shoots with my XL1s and an additional PD-150/170 and they almost never match up. So what I end up doing is going for a different style with the other camera. A style that doesn't conflict, mind you, but works differently in terms of framing and often information. If it's not going to match up, don't try and make it match up.

Another problem I've run into is the way Sony renders edge sharpening. It's somewhat unique to Sony processing. A camera like the DVX-100 in particular sharpens in a completely different manner.