How to feed 1 kHz pilot tone from field mixer to BMCC?

Vadim Joy

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're trying to achieve here because "pilot tone" can mean different things, but I assume you're trying to calibrate input levels. That being the case, all you have to do is patch it up to an audio input and select line level. If you want it on both channels, connect the signal to channel 1 and select "ch2 uses ch1 input."

Blackmagic_Camera_Audio_Settings_screen.

Now you have to actually send the tone and line up the levels.

This is a problem because none of the Blackmagic cameras have any form of audio metering (which is an absolutely unforgivable omission, but then they know that.) All you can do, then, is to connect something like an Atomos Samurai Blade up to the SDI output and put it into audio metering mode, then you can monitor the SDI embedded audio.

blade-503-audio-menu1.jpg

Yes, this is a dismally crap situation and a laughable workaround, but there it is.

P

I need to set the camera to around 20dB, so the mixer and camera can be on the same track. But BMCC has %, I'm wondering which is the closest to 20dB. Some users said 100% corresponds to 12dB

Works like a charm. Just in case anybody wonders best settings for the current (1.5) firmware to use with field mixer I used the following settings: camera is set to Line level at 100%, mixer is set to 0db sending 1kHz tone into camera. UltraScope reads -20dB.