Return of the King film stock

Gary Mc Nally

Hiya, im studying film studies, and should be going off to Uni in Spetember to study film production. However, I need to complete my coursework first :o

I was wondering if anyone knew or could tell what film stock was used on Return of the king, and if they could tell me a rough guide as to its properties, wether its soft, or high contrast etc.

Thanks for any help in advance,

I hope this is in the right section.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mc Nally

• Premium Member
Hiya, im studying film studies, and should be going off to Uni in Spetember to study film production. However, I need to complete my coursework first :o

I was wondering if anyone knew or could tell what film stock was used on Return of the king, and if they could tell me a rough guide as to its properties, wether its soft, or high contrast etc.

Thanks for any help in advance,

I hope this is in the right section.

Gary

They used a mix of stocks, mostly 5293 (EXR 200T) on sets when they had enough light, otherwise 5279 (Vision 500T.) Outdoors, I'm not sure -- they did a little stuff with 5245 (EXR 50D), but I think that was mostly just helicopter shots. Maybe some 5248 (EXR 100T) and 5293.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Forgive me if I am wrong but I *heard* that they used older, softer stocks, to get a *softfocus* like effect to pretty things. But don't go screwing your coursework up with that, it might not be true, it's only from what I've heard.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
Forgive me if I am wrong but I *heard* that they used older, softer stocks, to get a *softfocus* like effect to pretty things. But don't go screwing your coursework up with that, it might not be true, it's only from what I've heard.

They used 5293 because it was an older EXR stock with some "character" (little softer with some grain texture) as did "Master and Commander", slightly less slick and sharp compared to the Vision stocks -- but I'd hardly call that a soft-focus effect. Januz Kaminski also used 5293 for "The Terminal" as well as "A.I." Being a 200 ASA film, it was never that grainy though.

Compared to its replacement, 5274 (Vision 200T), 5293 was a little grittier, perhaps better for a mild period "look". Of course, when it was first introduced, 5293 was considered pretty slick compared to the 500 ASA stocks being used at the time.

They used 5293 because it was an older EXR stock with some "character" (little softer with some grain texture) as did "Master and Commander", slightly less slick and sharp compared to the Vision stocks -- but I'd hardly call that a soft-focus effect.  Januz Kaminski also used 5293 for "The Terminal" as well as "A.I."  Being a 200 ASA film, it was never that grainy though.

Compared to its replacement, 5274 (Vision 200T), 5293 was a little grittier, perhaps better for a mild period "look".  Of course, when it was first introduced, 5293 was considered pretty slick compared to the 500 ASA stocks being used at the time.

All of thats really helpful, thanks very much guys :-)

I don't really think that it will matter if its right or not, I dont think the guy thats marking my work is going to know about different film stocks. Its an old strategy of mine to just go as technical as I can and hope I go over the teachers head. It works suprisingly!

thanks again :D