Livestreaming on projector mixed with recorded material, how?

Hi

I have joined an art-project with a director. Here's the idea:

In the left side of the scene the audience will see a scene where two dancers will slowly begin to interact. On the right side I'm going to film the scene live, moving in a path I find interessting. What I film will be shown live in the middle of the room projected on a screen. And here's the twist:

As the audience can watch scene both with their eyes, with difficulity because of the angle they are watching from, and with ease by looking at the screen in front of them, the screen will suddenly change into a pre-recorded video of the exact same scene with the exact same things going on BUT with a little change in color of clothes and similar things. I hope this makes sense? I'm going to act as I'm still filming the scene, but the audience might not notice that screen shows different details.

So my problem is:

1. I have to transmit to a projector live in the first half of the show. Can I do this wirelessly?

2. How can I combine this transmission with pre-recorded film? I guess I will need a video-mixer? But how do I make this change?

André Hansen

2. How can I combine this transmission with pre-recorded film? I guess I will need a video-mixer? But how do I make this change?

Is this a multicamera shoot? I mean will you be cutting between cameras? If so you could cut to some pre-recorded footage instead of another camera. If you are doing this on a single camera it's going to be really, really difficult as the talent will have to hit the exact point and pose so that when you cut to the recording there isn't a jump cut that makes it obvious. I actually think you would be better shooting the pre-recorded segments on the same camera and lenses too. I think if you switch from video to film footage it's going to again be really obvious and I assume you are trying to make the moment you switch very subtle.

You also want to bring the recording in at an exact point so that it continues to be very similar to the live performance but then slowly starts to drift out of sync.

Freya

• 2 weeks later...

So my problem is:

1. I have to transmit to a projector live in the first half of the show. Can I do this wirelessly?

André Hansen

1. Yes you can. Three devices are widely used: Wevi, Teradek and BOXX. I've never worked with the Teradek, but I do know that when there's a Wevi on set we shiver with fear... whereas a sense of "this is going to be an easy day" can be felt when it's an BOXX. The Wevi's signal will break down with a whisper, BOXX does not. It's definitely pricier to rent, but if you need a stable signal... it's a no brainer. The BOXX is the standard in broadcast when using steadicam. I would, however, question myself very intensely about the need to go wireless. Nothing beats a coaxial cable when it comes to stability.

2. Use editing? Go to black on the live camera, then cross dissolve to your recorded footage, for example (as in Hitchcock's "Rope"). Essentially what you need is a "hidden cut". Google for examples!. Kit wise, yes, you need a vision mixer.

Edited by John Miguel King