Is it Possible to Date Kodak Film Stock Based on Information on the Can?

Just curious if there's a way to determine the manufacturing date or overall age of a Kodak film stock based on the numbers printed on the label and the tape sealing the can. While I can't image the film code itself is of much help (aside from determining a very rough estimate for discontinued film stocks), I'm curious if there's some kind of reference information that can be used to determine the manufacturing date based on the other data, such as the emulsion, roll, part, and strip numbers.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I was trying to find that information as well. The only thing I found is that you can find the year it was cut by looking at the processed stock. Kodak has their year codes posted on their website.

I realize this isnt as helpful as if it was printed on the can (before purchase) but Kodak hasn't released any info on how to tell film age by outer can. Obviously, the years of production for a given stock will give you an idea but still. I am sure Kodak has hidden codes to id the date from what's on the can but it hasn't been released publicly.