lens table pocket book

You know the part of the ASC manual that has the lens tables for depth of field, etcetera? I would like to find a pocket size book that has just that information. Carrying around the entire manual seems silly. Does anybody know if there is such a thing? What does everyone else use?

• Premium Member
You know the part of the ASC manual that has the lens tables for depth of field, etcetera? I would like to find a pocket size book that has just that information. Carrying around the entire manual seems silly. Does anybody know if there is such a thing? What does everyone else use?

A kelly's wheel or Samcine Disc has that data. If you want a PDF and just print out the lenses you need then try www.cookeoptics.com

Stephen Williams

Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member

What tables do you basically need ? Depth of field, angle of view... Most of this information is avaiable in a much more convenient way, that is the Kelly calculator as well as the MK II calculator. They are designed to go into your pocket and are very much easier to read as well as they provide more information as well...

Have a look at the MK II on my site : (I translated it in french for my students, but ther also is the manual in anglish so you can figure out what it looks like and what you can use it for. I'll soon post the Kelly user manual as well, but just consider they are very similar as a starting point) :

MK II Calculator

• Premium Member

"Silly"??? I've never found the American Cinematographer Manual to be cumbersome. For a book that is only the size and weight of a small paperback novel, it contains a wealth of information.

• Premium Member

John's right in the way that you should always have the book with you anyway, in your personal case, but it's true that when you are focus pulling on a shoot, the depth of field tables are really not as easy to use as the calculators, both kelly and samcine, are.

I remember when I began to work as an AC I used a pockect calculator that I programed as to compute distances for DOF and I found that even doing this, that was easier than using the book, was a pain in the neck, when you have to check DOF on a shooting. There is really nothing like these calculators, nothing as easy as well as secure and precise.

I guess this is why most ACs have both, the book in the case and the wheel on the set...