Tungsten Stock for Day Shooting

Guest FilmmakerJack

Guest FilmmakerJack

Hey, I'm trying to shoot a scene where the blues and greens are emphasized. Using filters has shown no real results. I was wondering what effect using tungsten stock in the day would have. Also, how would i achieve the opposite: having light reds or oranges.

• Premium Member
Hey, I'm trying to shoot a scene where the blues and greens are emphasized. Using filters has shown no real results. I was wondering what effect using tungsten stock in the day would have. Also, how would i achieve the opposite: having light reds or oranges.

You can shoot tungsten film uncorrected in daylight and basically end up with an overexposed blue layer and underexposed red layer, which sort of helps make the blues and greens a little stronger even after timing back to normal (see "Barry Lyndon"). But it's subtle. A Pola filter will reduce haze in blue skies and glare off of green foilage, improving their saturation.

Opposite would work for warm colors -- using warming filters PLUS a Color Enhancer filter, which will make reds really pop.

• Premium Member

If you are shooting a tungsten balance in daylight without an 85 correction filter, it is especially important to avoid underexposure, since the red information will then be significantly underexposed and placed on the "toe" of the film, causing red shadows.

Consider the use of a film like 7245, which has a bit more "snap" for outdoor scenes.