Selling Stock Footage - Need Advice

Yash Lucid

Hi everyone.

I'm planning on selling stock footage online, it's something I've been wanting to do for awhile, as it means I have a little added motivation for exploring and filming a diverse range of scenes & subjects, while also making a little extra pocket change on the side.

My question is, what frame rates should I export? In SA, we use pal which is 25fps, and I understand that in other regions they (or you) use NTSC at 29.97fps (or is it 23.976?) so does it make sense to just shoot at 30fps (or upwards if slow motion) and export to 30fps? That way, people can use in whatever framerate they want to.

Thoughts?

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

if the footage does not contain audio it can be easily conformed to whichever framerate the client uses. this leads to speeding up/slowing down the footage however so depending on the subject matter it could be better to archive a little bit of slow motion by shooting higher framerate (29.97 or 30fps at least) I think. but if you also use the footage for your own projects and the original sound is important it might be better to shoot the native framerate you would use, 25fps in your situation. If the slow motion is a benefit for you then it would be ideal to shoot as high framerate as possible and just conform it later for stock sales and other uses :)