How do I pull of this shot?

Yash Lucid

I have an idea for a shot but I am not certain how to pull it off.

It's basically a tracking shot going from left to right, with a wall in the middle. The wall separates two apartment rooms, on the left side is someone in their room in their apartment, and on the right side is someone in their room. In real life, I would break the other walls so that this would be possible but since I cannot, I'm not sure how to do it.

Can anyone also post a link or suggest other films/videos where they do this? One example is bad boys 2, however it wasn't a horizonal tracking move, it was a 360 degree move.

Shot begins at 46s, as if the camera is going through the wall

For some reason, I cannot see the video you embedded.

I would suggest a composite shot with a fake wall, but you'll have to plan every little detail to pull it off. What equipment have you got to shoot this?

Basically, the way I'd do it would be to shoot the first room, left to right, until I hit the wall, then same thing in the second room, from left to right. You have to time it so that the speed of the camera move is consistent in both shots.

Then it's only a matter of bringing the two shots in AE or another software, and add a fake "wall" (an actual picture of a wall, concrete, or even a dark texture brought into your composition) to separate the two.

Have a look at this:

They're doing it vertically, but you could tweak it slightly to make it work horizontally.

Edited by Nicolas Courdouan

For some reason, I cannot see the video you embedded.

I would suggest a composite shot with a fake wall, but you'll have to plan every little detail to pull it off. What equipment have you got to shoot this?

Basically, the way I'd do it would be to shoot the first room, left to right, until I hit the wall, then same thing in the second room, from left to right. You have to time it so that the speed of the camera move is consistent in both shots.

The it's only a matter of bringing the two shots in AE or another software, and add a fake "wall" (a dark texture brought into your composition) to separate the two.

Have a look at this:

They're doing it vertically, but you could tweak it slightly to make it work horizontally.

Ah yes, they followed a tutorial by Andrew Kramer on videocopilot.net :) I totally forgot about that one. Thanks I'll give it a shot.

• Premium Member

I have an idea for a shot but I am not certain how to pull it off.

It's basically a tracking shot going from left to right, with a wall in the middle. The wall separates two apartment rooms, on the left side is someone in their room in their apartment, and on the right side is someone in their room. In real life, I would break the other walls so that this would be possible but since I cannot, I'm not sure how to do it.

Can anyone also post a link or suggest other films/videos where they do this? One example is bad boys 2, however it wasn't a horizonal tracking move, it was a 360 degree move.

Shot begins at 46s, as if the camera is going through the wall

Hi there! Since I worked on BAD BOYS 2 and made this shot, I can give you some insight on how we did this. First and foremost, we had the budget to make this shot. It involved alot of visual effects. We built the house as a rigged set, on stage that could accomodate our circle dolly track that went around the wall we magically pass through. Via VFX, the window and wall we pass through were replaced by CGI. We operated the shot remotely on a libra head and pulled focus remotely on a Preston from another room. We also did the same shot with Mark Wahlberg on PAIN & GAIN.

I'm sure that there are simpler ways to achieve a similar effect but you'll have to figure out what you can afford and adjust your strategy to accomodate the limitations. Good luck!

Greg

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

There's a shot in Silent Hill with a wall-pass-through effect where you can actually glimpse a false wall slide back into place. That's again a moderately big build, but you can fake it up in any number of ways.

The scene is a fair way into the movie, in a scene where the lead character is in a school bathroom with a bunch of guys in miners' outfits pounding on the door.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! Since I worked on BAD BOYS 2 and made this shot, I can give you some insight on how we did this. First and foremost, we had the budget to make this shot. It involved alot of visual effects. We built the house as a rigged set, on stage that could accomodate our circle dolly track that went around the wall we magically pass through. Via VFX, the window and wall we pass through were replaced by CGI. We operated the shot remotely on a libra head and pulled focus remotely on a Preston from another room. We also did the same shot with Mark Wahlberg on PAIN & GAIN.

I'm sure that there are simpler ways to achieve a similar effect but you'll have to figure out what you can afford and adjust your strategy to accomodate the limitations. Good luck!

Greg

I'm still amazed that I received a reply from you. Holy crap. I updated my Facebook status about this and people went nuts. Anyway, thanks Gregory!!