How accurate is the color temp meter in a video ca

Marty Hamrick

I figured they were pretty accurate as I shoot in a lot of mixed lighting situations.Courtrooms with a mix of cold and warm florescents as well as a mix of daylight and tungsten.Typically I'll balance on an inbetween source.Haven't been burned yet.

Marty

Just remember that color temperature is a general measurement that assumes a full spectrum across all general wavelengths. It assumes you are pointing at a white object and the light hitting it may be generally weighted towards one end of the spectrum but still represents the full spectrum. If you point at a green object it will think the light is very green, and it won't know to look for green spikes in color if you shoot under fluorescent lights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

It depends on the particular camera. Personally I don't pay attention to the number unless I've tested the camera. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day! ;)

I've been shooting on a reality show lately with 2-3 Betacam cameras setup ENG style. ( http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/betteror...terorworse.html ). Mostly 600's and an old 400, from different rental houses. None of the cameras agree on color temp, or white balance for that matter. Since we're never set up with a switcher and CCU's there's little chance to "grade" the cameras, and we spend a bit of time trying to get then to match.

• Premium Member
Working with a D-30 I remember the readings to be completely inaccurate. With the DVW 700 it is more like the reading I take with my Minolta color meter.

I also work with a company that owns several D-30's and on the whole their numbers come up pretty close. That's why I tend to think it comes down to the particular camera (its age and maintenance), not the model.

That said, I don't even bother with what the number tells me. I trust my own expeience and judgement more than what a possibly inaccurate number tells me. If in doubt, just white balance and use a monitor! ;)