Video - dark edges

Guest Ben Rollason

Guest Ben Rollason

I'm going to be doing a test next week on 35mm adapters for both mini DV and Digibeta cameras with regard to finding just how far lenses, grade, deinterlace and grain addition can go to overwhelming the inherent 'videoness' as compared to telecined 35mm. There is however one video artefact that I don't really know how best to deal with, or indeed why it occurs.

When you have highly exposed or over exposed areas along a sharply focused edge which is in front of a less exposed background, the sharp edge often appears to have a dark rim to it. The greater the difference in exposure, the stronger the effect. It's peculiar to video and seems to happen on all kinds of cameras from DV to digibeta SD to HD.

Here's two jpeg attachments - close ups of stills from an HD shoot demonstrating the effect.

post-6322-1115222484.jpg

post-6322-1115222504.jpg

I've never seen the effct on telecined 35mm footage which suggests it's either to do with lenses or that the grain structure of the film minimizes the effect when telecined.

If you have suggestions about how you can reduce this effect, please let me know.

Regards,

Ben Rollason.

• Premium Member

I've never seen the effct on telecined 35mm footage which suggests it's either to do with lenses or that the grain structure of the film minimizes the effect when telecined.

Regards,

Ben Rollason.

Hi,

I have seen this with telecine, but to a much lower extent. I always ask for the noise reducer and all sharpening to be turned OFF at the start of the transfer, I prefer to see what my film stock and lens choice have produced.

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com