Learning from Hollywood - Architecture and Film - Hans Dieter Schaal

• Premium Member

Title: Learning From Hollywood - Architecture and Film

Author: Hans Dieter Schaal

ISBN: 3 - 930698 - 70 - 6

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Hollywood-Architecture-Hans-Schaal/dp/3930698706

Learning-from-Hollywood-Schaal-Hans-Diet

Hi all,

I have finished the book above mentioned and it is a quite interesting point of view on Architecture and Film and how architecture is designed on movies to create moods together with the help of the cinematographer.

It might be something that cinematographers might not consider reading but it is a very small book - 120 pages - and it is very well structured.

We can find chapters on Houses, Streets, Light and so on and I would say that if you can get a copy in your local library or you can get it online, flick through it because it is really amazing.

I found that some of Hans Dieter's point of views are a bit old fashioned or very architectural related - for example, he writes that streets are always negative forms as opposed at buildings - and although I don't agree with him on some points, it created a new box in my mind where I can throw things regarding architectural aspects of the process of my cinematography development, and that is always good :)

It contains several examples of movies that are the paradigm of architecture in cinema, and quite a lot of images too, from M to Viridiana, etc, etc.

A good reading for a weekend if you don't have anything else to read!

Highly recommended!

Have a good day!