Resolve 10 and HDSLR

Darrell Ayer

Do you need the extended capabilities of (the free version of) Resolve 10 to do Grading and Editing of HDSLR footage? Looking at the program, it's robust hardware requirements are a bit daunting for the level of work I would need it do. I'm trying to get away with replacing my 7 year old macbook pro with a mac mini and loading up the ram... Does anyone have any advice on this.

Resolve does all its maths with the graphic cards. It won't even start without a discrete GPU, whether ATI or Nvidia.

Also, DSLR footage is highly compressed in some variation of the h264 codec. Just the playback of this footage puts a massive strain on the computer's processor. So, yes, you do need some processing power in your system.

The minimum specs for a comfortable and productive experience are: core i7, 16 gb ram, discrete GPU with at least 2gb of dedicated ram.

If working with an Apple system, you're looking at either a 15" Retina Macbook or the iMac. The mini has no discrete GPU nor can it be expanded in any way.

Question: Do you need it to be a mac? Because the specs come considerably cheaper if going PC. You can build a beast for the cost of a new macbook.

• Upvote 1