Underexposing direct sunlight

...had this post deleted from the wrong forum by the moderater so reposting here. Thanks for the couple responses when it was over there but wanted to see if anyone else could weigh in....specfically on the danger issue....why does arri say that is dangerous?

Original post:

Kinda the opposite of my last post...I have a shoot coming up and was interested in possibly doing some shots where I over power sunlight in direct sun. Basically flag the sun and use an 18/12k hmi at a close enough distance to where I am about 2 stops above direct sunlight.

I have not seen any work like this before....alot of fashion photo work but no film. I was just curious if anyone has an references to this being done and I was a bit concerned about the saftey of big HMI at close distance.

the arri photo metric calculator said its not safe to be closer to an 12k arrimax then 30ft!? is that the case? Is this because of heat or UV or something? I mean I have been 10ft from a 12light with narrow bulbs and its hot but its not going to burn you....

• Premium Member

If you take a look at "The Judge", "War Horse" or "Indiana Jones" just to name but a few, shot by Kaminski, you will see that sometimes he uses light to overpower sunlight for very specific reasons although he uses the sun as a kick light and lights the actors with 12/18k's almost all the time.

In some commercials I have worked on I've seen the cinematographer lighting a face with a 18k through diffusion like 8 or 10 meters away from the actor's final position.

There is also a good example of what you are asking for in the following commercial:

Derek Rose - Adidas

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8b90kaLrcQQ

The basketball player in the middle of the bullfighting square was lit by 5 direct18's from several angles plus the sun.

It was quite hot there, not because of the HMI's tho!

Hope it helps.

Best.

Hey Miguel thanks for the insight for sure. I was aware of Kaminski's work....I guess I'm curious to see something that is not interested in being subtle about it ....maybe I need more then 2 stops over direct sunlight ...even 3 or 4.....but I guess I might have the means to do so. In the derek Rose spot where were the 18ks positioned....I can see some of them in the backround I think no?

Anyone know how close an 18k can get safely?