Video Assist Using Security Camera?

I was looking for ways to make dolly shots easier with my K3 when I stumbled on this guy's set-up. This is pretty ingenious if you ask me. But I'm curious as to what parts I would buy to set something like this up? Does anybody have any idea how to rig something like this up?

k1.jpg

I've seen chat about DIY taps on the forum before, maybe bolex and ACL so you could have a search around. I don't think it is hard to get an image if you have the right field of view and you can get close enough to the eye cup. I held my son's Ipod almost hard against an ACL (big Kinoptik) VF and got an image a while ago. Vignetted, so the lens was too wide.

Have you chatted with the guy that made what's in your photo?

No haven't spoken to him. The guy who posted this photo did so back in 2006 (and now his name is crossed out...so no longer a member I guess?). It's also nearly a decade old so I wanted to re-boot the whol idea in case anyone is aware of cheap-o security cams like this I can just kind of "stick to the viewfinder" somehow. Even more likely that little LCD displays are cheaper and slimmer in 2014. Could be a good time to make me a "suction cup cam" that I could quickly stick on the thing just for dolly shots. The K3 is really annoying to keep your eye glued to the viewfinder with if you're attempting any kind of movement.

you could get an old iphone/ipod touch with a lens adapter and rig it to the viewfinder.

I actually happen to have a useles iphone at my disposal. Well, two really. But one can go on a camera, sure. What kind of adapter? I'm really green on this subject (and many other subjects). Thanks again.

I did this with an old miniDV on my Bolex(s).

A bit pokey out the back end but you get an orientable screen and composite out as well, which the iPhone won't grant you.

There was no mystery, just pushed it up to the eyecup and fiddled with focus, zoom and placement until it was nice, then built a little mount for it - Bolex was handy in that regard as it had some tapped holes on the back already, great for handheld, no reason you couldn't built an extended '2 to 1' tripod plate for any other camera also.