making diffusion screens

I would like to add to my lighting gear with some large aluminum frames, to which can be attached diffusion gels. I haven't seen these close up for quite some time, so I don't remember the details of construction. Perhaps one could start with cannibalized house screen window frames?

I would appreciate if anyone has a recipe for making of these frames, which would include a method of attachment of the frame to a standard C-stand.

I have some 30"x30" frames made from Plastic waste pipe and elbows available from any DIY/Plumbing Store. Cost about £10.00 each.

I also have some sturdier 4'x4' frames made from 15mm copper pipe, fixed together with 'Push-fit' elbows, again from DIY stores.

The 'Push-Fit' elbows are ideal, because the frames can be easily disassembled and packed away. Both types of frame fit into a standard Grip arm/knuckle.

Wouldnt be easier to just buy Matthews or American empty 4x4 frames?? They are around $20.00 a piece, at the end, they may last longer + cost cheapier.

Or use PVC 1/2 inch plastic pipes with elbow joints, that works good, and that is really cheap to make

Guest Rick Pearson

Several months ago, I built an 8' x 5' diffusion panel using the pvc frame idea, and rip-stop nylon from hancock fabrics. the whole thing cost $23 aprox.

It was cheap and it's big enough to diffuse light hitting an entire car. Can't beat that. Good luck to everyone taking the DIY route. I'm all about purchasing tried and true gear, but when it comes to certain items I like to roll up the sleeves now and again; I was able to construct a sturdy camera operator ridable track dolly this way.

hi there-

i made a 6x from the skinny metal electric-conduit pipe, connected with the little screw on elbows, it works great, super-easy to make, costs nothing and is a bit more rigid than PVC. i suspect you could build a frame much larger (using the bigger diameter conduit) as well, and you can either clamp directly to a c-stand or drill holes midway up the frame and add bolts.

It holds a big sheet of white ripstop (gussets on the corners and edges) tied to the frame.

it also doesn't look too DIY, if that's a consideration!

• Premium Member

Matthews, Avenger and others make parts like ears and angles so you can make your own frames and then you use your own metal or PVC pipes to create the desired size frame. The expensive part will be buying your rags. It's easier to use the little laces rather than a zillion Pony clamps and fabric from the fabric store.

If you have access to a sewing machine and some down time, you can make your own.