Set construction lighting?

Here are some examples of where I've used Kinos for soft overhead skylight on stage:

kino_image80.jpg

Hello David,

I am intrigued by the aluminum I-beam used to rig the 20Ks in the shot above. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as though the fixtures can slide the length of the I-Beam on a traveler. If so can it be controlled remotely? Is this an off the shelf item or was it fabricated by a Key Grip? Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip

• Premium Member

No, we had to lower the I-Beam on motorized chains down to the stage floor to slide the lights around and re-aim them (it's a bit hit or miss, sometimes you had to do it a couple of times). There are remote-controlled movers for lamps but we couldn't afford that.

But putting the lamps of a beam like that was better than having them stuck in one position. Those lights (the big ones for sun, the small ones for moonlight) were aimed at the windows of the house set and sometimes you'd need to move them to one side or the other to get past the window columns and hit the actors, etc. Plus we could raise or lower the bar when we needed the sun to come from a steeper or lower angle.

• 1 month later...

For those of you interested in the final output, it can be seen here:

password: film

The film is directed, produced, shot and designed by me. We were a team of 4 people filming it. It´s made as a part of a film school application (assignment was to write, direct and shoot in 2 months)

What do you think?