Lighting a darkroom

I am a student, and I need to shoot a scene inside a darkroom that shows a print in the developing solution being developed. What kind of filmstock would I use, and how would I light it? Also, would I need any kind of filters? I would probably work with Super 16.

Thanks,

michael

Ill be honest- I havent got a clue!

Do you need to show the print developing?

If so (and your mastering video) can you try fading between 3 or 4 stages of a cg image(that being the photo fully developed then maybe brightness-60%, brightness minus 40% and brightness -20%)overlapping the fades as much as poss...

If not use some creative cutting to avoid showing that, maybe shoot high key lighting either with a strong light source on a red gel or maybe even b+w with the red applied as a filter in your editing program.

I dont know if you would be able to get a shot of actual development, maybe with very fast stock as high a safe light as you can go with some forced processing but im sure Mr Pytlak can advise you further.

Hope this helps,

Charles

Guest cruz
Ill be honest- I havent got a clue!

Do you need to show the print developing?

If so (and your mastering video) can you try fading between 3 or 4 stages of a cg image(that being the photo fully developed then maybe brightness-60%, brightness minus 40% and brightness -20%)overlapping the fades as much as poss...

If not use some creative cutting to avoid showing that, maybe shoot high key lighting either with a strong light source on a red gel or maybe even b+w with the red applied as a filter in your editing program.

I dont know if you would be able to get a shot of actual development, maybe with very fast stock as high a safe light as you can go with some forced processing but im sure Mr Pytlak can advise you further.

Hope this helps,

Charles

ever heard about bleacher, make print bleach it and then put it into developer

• Premium Member
I am a student, and I need to shoot a scene inside a darkroom that shows a print in the developing solution being developed. What kind of filmstock would I use, and how would I light it? Also, would I need any kind of filters? I would probably work with Super 16.

Thanks,

michael

Try to light the room with a magenta light and correcting it red later, this will give you a sharper image on film than using straight red light like those used in a darkroom.

Cheers G.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'd print the image on glossy inkjet paper (which looks very much like photographic paper) in red and blue then fade from magenta to red light during the shot, shoot it on black and white and print it through a red filter later, or do some other post correction to recover monochromatic red images.

Phil

If you need to see the print 'developing' you can try sepia-toning where you bleach a developed print and soak it in sepia toner to make the image slowly re-appear.I suggest you talk to a darkroom technician or qualified photo course person to get more info if you wish to proceed in this direction. This procedure can be done in available light - the process isn't light sensitive like normal B+W developing.

Edited by matt butler