Can a forum on Safety issues be added to Cinematography.com

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

Not to jump to conclusions but if the camera guys were nearby when Greg Plitt was killed by a train, what were they thinking? Maybe a safety forum on Cinematography would help prevent this type of tragedy in the future. Here is a video link.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Greg-Plitt-Hit-By-Train-Video-Tracks-Memorial-288990431.html

• Premium Member

Quite a few threads in the grip section touch on that topic...

Not sure how fragmented you want a forum structure to be though?

I'm glad the grip section is doing the heavy lifting in regards to safety discussions.

With the explosion of cameras and venues for the camera work to be seen, it just seems like a safety forum is needed for areas of production. In the situation regarding Mr. Plitt, I assume his back was to the train and nobody was watching his back. These types of shoots are proliferating and if these types of productions at least understood that they don't understand the intricacies, they might actually hire extra people to make sure their shoots are at the very least, safe.

• Premium Member

One of the more current scenarios being presented is that Mr. Plitt tripped. That he had timed when he would veer off or near the tracks but tripped instead. This would make sense because if the train had slowed down and Plitt was sprinting at around 18 mph, the speed differential would not be as great and given him more time.

Any train experts here?

I am curious if all trains are required to slow down when they go through a train stop even if they are not planning on loading or unloading passengers.