What B&W film stock for shooting titles?

I'm shooting titles, and upon the advice of everyone here (many thanks!), I managed to get a clear negative (aka Kodalith). BTW, all the printing places I talked to had no idea what a Kodalith was. Most places don't use negatives anymore (let alone Kodaliths), so be prepared for a lot of shopping around.

In any event, I'll be shooting my titles by backlighting the clear negative sheets, and was wondering what B&W 16mm film to use. I'm thinking about either Double-X or Hi-Con. Considering that my source (the clear negatives) is already hi-contrast, does it make a difference whether or not I shoot using hi-con film, or will double-x do?

Many thanks!

• Premium Member

Since you are shooting titles, assuming you can use low frame rates, then exposure is not a problem -- why not use a hi-con title stock? It would make the titles look sharper. If not, there's no reason to use Double-X -- you can use Plus-X.

• Premium Member
I'm shooting titles, and upon the advice of everyone here (many thanks!), I managed to get a clear negative (aka Kodalith).  BTW, all the printing places I talked to had no idea what a Kodalith was.  Most places don't use negatives anymore (let alone Kodaliths), so be prepared for a lot of shopping around. 

In any event, I'll be shooting my titles by backlighting the clear negative sheets, and was wondering what B&W 16mm film to use.  I'm thinking about either Double-X or Hi-Con.  Considering that my source (the clear negatives) is already hi-contrast, does it make a difference whether or not I shoot using hi-con film, or will double-x do?

Many thanks!

The film normally used is EASTMAN High Contrast Positive Film 5363/7363:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.6.6.12&lc=en

EASTMAN High Contrast Positive Film II 5363 and 7363 is a medium speed black-and-white positive film that is suitable for making both positive and negative titles. It is also useful for production of printer effects, such as silhouette and traveling mattes. This blue-sensitive film is characterized by high contrast, excellent sharpness, and very high resolving power.

Thanks guys for the replies!

I'm wondering if the Hi-con film is offered in 100' spools (there's no mention on Kodak's site), which I'll be shooting using a Bolex.

Also, couple more questions:

1. What is the ASA (for Tungsten) on this film?

2. Does this film need to be processed in a special way? I'm assuming that all I have to do is to ask the lab to process the Hi-con like a regular negative film. Right?

3. My film is in colour, so was wondering if the Hi-con film will cut well with the rest of my film.

Thanks again!

Don't know the EI - is it on Kodak's data sheet ? Roll lengths should be. I doubt if it's available in 100' rolls.

You need to talk to the lab (plus they can reccomend what EI to shoot at) -- you need a lab that can do it, (FotoKem, Alpha Cine, Du Art ? (I think)

Be careful shooting titles with a Bolex, the viewfinders can be slightly off level. A prism in the gate is the safest way.

The guy who has shot 16mm titles for me uses a Mitchell with a field chart in the finder.

You can DIY but test etc.

-Sam

• Premium Member
Thanks guys for the replies!

I'm wondering if the Hi-con film is offered in 100' spools (there's no mention on Kodak's site), which I'll be shooting using a Bolex. 

Also, couple more questions:

1. What is the ASA (for Tungsten) on this film?

2. Does this film need to be processed in a special way?  I'm assuming that all I have to do is to ask the lab to process the Hi-con like a regular negative film.  Right?

3. My film is in colour, so was wondering if the Hi-con film will cut well with the rest of my film.

Thanks again!

Processing is specified in the Kodak technical data:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.6.6.12&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...6.12&lc=en#proc

This is the same process used for sound negatives and B&W prints.

Here is the catalog listing:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...interfilm04.pdf

EASTMAN High-Contrast Positive Film II 7363 / HCP451 / 16 mm x 400 ft roll / On Core / 2R-2994

EASTMAN High-Contrast Positive Film II 7363

Perforated Two Edges