SHOOTING IN BARBADOS + ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Hi, Im planning a shoot to be done at Barbados in the Caribbean. Production service company tells me that they work on 110V / 50 Hz electricity down there.

I was planning to bring my camera and monitor with me so that I dont have to rent nothing more than lightning gear. So I don't know what would happen to the Camera ( It's a broadcast video camcorder ) if I have to plug the powersupply, or maybe If I plug battery charger to an outlet, the cam is set to 120v/ 60Hz by default manufacturer if anyone has some info or clues I will appreciate it very much.

Best Regards

Oscar

• Premium Member

most battery chargers have built in transformers and can do anything from 110V to 220V and 50hz to 60hz. it should be clearly marked as to it's rating. as for the monitor it should also be clearly marked however it most likely does NOT have a built in transformer. so you have to decide weather or not you bring your own transformer for your monitor for ac power, or you strictly use batteries, or you rent a local monitor. the problem is that what you think is a proper monitor might not be what someone in another country thinks is a "proper" monitor. This happened to me in Thailand. The broadcast monitor we booked in Thailand was a piece of doo doo. Total waste of space. As for transformers don't buy a cheap one. You will regret it. The cheap ones tend to trip their breakers at the slightest fluctuation in voltage. Of course fluctuation in voltage is very common in lots of countries.

good luck

fb