Lens Adapters (ie. Arri PL / B) for XL2

none

Having exhausted the search function of this forum, I am hoping some one can offer some input. I am currently using a Panasonic DVX-100A, occasionly renting an XL2 here and there. I much prefer the XL2, mainly for its native 16:9, and "lens options". Those "lens options" have thus, spawned the following ideas...

I am looking for some mechanical lens adapter(s), other than the P+S Mini35, that will allow me to use Arri PL / B lenses on the XL2. The Mini35, and related 35mm lenses, are out of the budget, and I am wanting to own this gear, if possible. I am not looking to debate, RENT vs. OWN, I want to talk lenses / adapters. I am looking to put either R16 or S16 lenses on the XL2, specifcally wide angle Zeiss primes (ie. super speeds and the like).

I am looking at adapters like this (ZGC / Optex Adapter), which will adapt various Arri PL lenses to the XL2. I am not worried too much of the exact Arri lens mount, as I find most lenses can adapted from PL to B and back. I am trying to figure out what the conversion, (ie. "magnification factor / angle of view "crop") will be, when using the S16mm lenses on the XL2. I am able to get the exact dimensions of the R16 / S16 frame(s), but I am having trouble finding the dimensions of the XL2 sensor / frame (in 16:9). All I am able to find is the diagonal dimension (ie. 0.289" from Canon). I am familiar with the "crop" / "magnification" factor with 35mm lenses on the XL2 (ie. approx 7-7.8X). If I understand things correctly, the S16 lenses would not be cropped quite as much, given the are intended to cover a smaller frame...

If any one can offer some help, in trying to figure what sort of usable "focal length" / angle of converage I will get from some R16 / S16 lenses. From what I can gather, it would "need" to use S16 lenses, if shooting 16:9, given the coverage and aspect ratio of of S16 (ie. 1.688:1).

Once again, I would appreciate any / all input.

Thanks,

-intro2trig

Even though the lenses are made for S16 or R16 cameras

There focal length is the same as 35mm lenses...

Meaning a 16mm lens with a focal length of 25mm...

Has the same focal length as a 35mm lens with a focal length of 25mm.

So the 7--7.8X magnification of angle-of-view

Will remain for 16mm mounted on 1/3 chip DV cameras.

So unless you're looking for long lens

It's pretty pointless to use adapters on DV cameras.

I don't see much of a difference in image quality

By using a film lens over the camera's original lens.

If you're interested in getting an adapter

Get the Optex B4 adapter which will allow you to mount broadcast quality lenses

Which are slightly better than the camera's stock lens.

But it won't magically improve the camera's image quality...

Ultimately no matter what Lens you use

The image quality will remain the same...

Unless you can change Depth of field but you'd need to get a P+S technic adapter

Either that or a bigger chip inside your camera---whichever is doable.

Why do you want to use film lenses on a DV camera in the first place.