Wide/Super wide for 4008zm "Classic Pro"

Mark Sperry

I just picked up a Classic Pro AKA 4008zm from Pro8mm. I'm wondering how other lenses that are C mount do on it, specifically even some of the industrial surveillance camera lenses. I've got my eye on a Computar 6mm 1.2 and I'm trying to find a 3.5mm lens that will work well with it.

Are there any compatibility issues that I will run into either from differences in flange distance or something like that? Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

The advantage of those lenses is that the camera will be very light and easy to use. However, it is really not that sharp compared to the stock lens with the 4008. Since those lenses are so inexpensive I would suggest trying it for fun. When you spend the money on such a good Super 8 camera you usually want a high quality lens with it otherwise you could have bought a $10 camera.

Guest Glenn Brady

Century Precision Optics made C-mount lenses in 1.9mm, 2.5mm, and 3.5mm focal lengths that fit Beaulieu 4008 series cameras. The 1.9mm covers R16, the 2.5mm S8, and the 3.5mm is made in versions to fit S8 and R16. The 3.5mm appears occasionally at eBay, but the other two are uncommon. Any of these lenses should be collimated to your camera for best results.

Thanks Will! I know it probably won't be as good as the Angie 8-64/1.9 I have coming, but I'm looking for wides here. Since I don't have the optivaron the 6/1.2 I just won on a fleabay auction should at least help. Choices are slim...

Thank you Glenn! I will look for those Century lenses. Can you possibly tell me what the collimation process entails? What would a place like Du-All charge for that service? I know my zoom comes pre collimated to my Classic Pro, so that would should be good.

Pre collimated??? Clearly a demonstration what nonsens they produce. They must be laughing their balls off. There is no purpose for collimating without the actual camera connected to the lens.

Also considering that Super-8 film flies through an air-channel with considerable play this collimation is heavily overrated.

Considering the modern prime focus C-mount you need to be sure that they are C mount and not CS mount. Some sellers really have no idea. CS will never work.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Guest Glenn Brady

Pre collimated??? Clearly a demonstration what nonsens they produce. They must be laughing their balls off. There is no purpose for collimating without the actual camera connected to the lens.

Also considering that Super-8 film flies through an air-channel with considerable play this collimation is heavily overrated.

Considering the modern prime focus C-mount you need to be sure that they are C mount and not CS mount. Some sellers really have no idea. CS will never work.

I'm sure Mark meant that the lens he purchased with the camera has been collimated to that camera. It's not always a useless procedure in my experience.

The number of sellers who, knowingly or unknowingly, describe CS-mount lenses as C-mount lenses doesn't help the situation. C-mount lenses can work on a CS-mount camera (using a spacer), but, as you say, CS-mount lenses can't work on a C-mount camera.

• Upvote 1

I guess a follow up question would be, how about just wide angle converters? Optical quality doesn't have to be amazing. I use this stuff pretty creatively after all. Soft corners aren't the end of the world to me. And trust me, my brides benefit but a little softening. :-)