Hot! Hot! Hot!

Guest Abby

Guest Abby

I'm a New York based AC working on my first job in the west. We're in the desert in AZ. Any tips for shooting in heat that breaks 100 degrees? We're shooting Fuji 64D with the Aaton XTR. Any high-temp quirks you've experienced?

Hi there-

I did a shoot in 120-degrees in New Cuyama, CA- keep the camera covered with a reflective blanket, our SR3 got too hot to touch! I was worried about the film (also fuji), but it pulled through just fine, maybe because we were only out there a day, and kept it in coolers.

you'll see your actors and others start to drop like flies if they don't keep a lot of water and shade available!

• Premium Member

You can use a space blanket with the silver side out as a camera cover. It's cheap and can envelope the whole rig and then be bungeed at the bowl of the tripod.

And yes, lot's of water and sunscreen. If you can have the grips or someone set up a 4x4, or 6x6 to shade the camera that will also be good.

If there's lots of blowing sand perhaps a haze filter might be good to protect the front element, maybe even a 2, or 2B to cut through some of the UV. Lot's of dust off and a couple of soft brushes.

Yeah, keep the film cool with ice packs in a cooler.

A big issue as well is the blowing sand and where it can end up.

On my desert shoot last year I was amazed at where the sand got into. Even tightly zipped camera bags had sand in the bottom of them.

R,