Slow - motion

Guy Meachin

• Premium Member

It depends on how slow you want it. I've found a shutter speed slower than 75 staggers a little bit when you slow it down. Motion blur on top of motion blur. Shoot in progressive mode. And Final Cut HD is 4.5.

Shoot in interlaced mode to capture the maximum amount of motion per second, and use a 180-degree shutter (1/100th or 1/120th-sec, depending on where you are). In post, bob-deinterlace (50i/60i to 50P/60P) the footage and set its playback rate to 24fps (or whatever you wish, however much you want to slow down the footage).

Motion rendering will be essentially equivalent to that of having shot film, or progressive video, at 50fps or 60fps, though you are likely to encounter "shimmering"; an artifact caused by the interpolation of alternating odd and even fields.

Guest robtags

Bit of conflicting info...

Alvin, what is meant by 'bob-deinterlace', could you elaborate? And also, does this all hold true for the XL-1?

Bob deinterlacing is one of many types of methods used to convert interlaced footage to progressive. Unlike deinterlacing methods such as duplicate fields, interpolate fields, discard fields, and blend fields, all of which output a stream with the same framerate as the original file, bob deinterlace splits each frame into two, one consisting of just the odd fields, the other the even fields, and interpolates the missing lines. The output is a file with twice the framerate of the original, for each frame no longer consists of two fields (i.e. two moments in time) - they have been separated and given their own frames:

Input file, Interlaced, First four frames:

1) 1A+1B

2) 2A+2B

3) 3A+3B

4) 4A+4B

Output, progressive, First eight frames:

1) 1A

2) 1B

3) 2A

4) 2B

5) 3A

6) 3B

7) 4A

8) 4B

Starting to make sense? :)

And yes, since the XL1, as any other video camera, can shoot in interlaced mode, bob deinterlacing can be applied.