Lightest remote follow focus setup?

• Premium Member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to organise a head-mounted camera setup (most likely a Blackmagic Pocket Camera with a small S16mm wide-angle prime, and need to source a remote follow focus for it. The basic need is for the system to be as light as possible - so if anyone can recommend particular systems for this, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

• Premium Member

Super quick answer:

Bartech.

It is the lightest professional wireless follow focus.

It works really well and it is very cheap to rent.

Bartech

https://www.abelcine.com/store/Bartech-Focus-Device-Focus-Style/

The little box beside the follow focus is the emisor that you put on the camera, very tiny!

Only downside is that if you really need a Cinetape you won't be seeing the readings on the Bartech.

Have a good day!

Bartech is a good option, especially if you're using the fstop/PLC digital receiver/driver, it has a much smaller form factor than the analog one.

If you were looking for something really small and light check out the RT Motion Mk3 if you can find one. I recently used one on a Ronin, it had to be one of the smallest and lightest remote follow focus I've ever seen. The receiver if I remember correctly is about the width/depth of a 9 volt battery and maybe 1-1/2 times as long and the motors were roughly the same size as a Heden motor. Over all it was decent, I felt there was a noticeable bit of lag if you were making big moves even when it was set to it's fastest response but for the most part it did the job and was very small/light.

Edited by evanwalsh

• Premium Member

I had very bad experiences with the RT Motion.

We tested it on a commercial and had to change it for a Preston because there was an insane amount of lag between the follow focus unit and the receiver.

Then we gave it another chance a couple of weeks later and the same happened.

Maybe the company adressed that problem?

Have a good day!

• Premium Member

The early RT Motion at NAB 2014 was super laggy. I used one this January and it was fine. Certainly not a Preston, but it was usable. Just used a Carat on a feature and it was surprisingly decent. Like the Bartech, it eats thru 9v batteries quick.