HD vs 24p ???

Guest kjekkogpen_@hotmail.com

I am a student filmmaker considering which camera to buy... I will mainly be shooting shorts and I am looking for the best camera for that purpose. I want a 'film-look' for my films, if you know what I mean....

But what is prefferable? HD or 24p? The cameras I am thinking about is the

Sony HDR-FX1 HDV vs DVX100A ??

I want to shoot in 16:9, so I guess you'd loose quality if you letterbox the DVX100A image? Which of the cameras offers the best 'cinematic look' ?

Thomas

• Premium Member

24P / 25P trumps interlaced-scan for a "film look" in terms of motion rendition. The Sony HDV camera has a fake 24/25/30 fps look called "Cineframe" but it's not useful for anything to be transferred back to film.

I believe the JVC HDV cameras do true 24P/720.

Otherwise, I'd wait for the Panasonic HVX200 to come out at the end of the year, if you can afford their P2 card system and all the drives you will fill up...

All HD cameras are 16x9 native.

For most people wanting to shoot DV, the best choices are the Panasonic DVX100A and the Canon XL2 for 24P. And the Canon XL2 does 16x9 better, so maybe that's the camera for you for now.

24P / 25P trumps interlaced-scan for a "film look" in terms of motion rendition. The Sony HDV camera has a fake 24/25/30 fps look called "Cineframe" but it's not useful for anything to be transferred back to film.

I believe the JVC HDV cameras do true 24P/720.

Otherwise, I'd wait for the Panasonic HVX200 to come out at the end of the year, if you can afford their P2 card system and all the drives you will fill up...

All HD cameras are 16x9 native.

For most people wanting to shoot DV, the best choices are the Panasonic DVX100A and the Canon XL2 for 24P.  And the Canon XL2 does 16x9 better, so maybe that's the camera for you for now.

Thank you for the respons. btw: is there a trailer for 'akeelah and the bee' online somewhere? I would like to see it.

Thomas