Choosing a DP

Ger Leonard

Hi all..

I am an irish writer/director with my debut feature in an advanced stage of development.

The projected budget is 1.5m euros. Our aim is to commence shooting in autumn this year or failing that spring next year. We will be shooting on 35mm.

I have become fascinated by sequence shots and camera choreography eg. Bela Tarr's Werkmesiter Harmones, Damnation etc.

If you are unaware of his work, he was a huge influence on Gus Van Sant's Gerry and Elephant.

The script is currently with Chris Doyle (he has promised to read it and my producer knows him), and I am also considering Alwin Kuchler (ratcatcher/morvern caller) and Gergely Poharnak (Hukkle)..amongst others.

It is important to me that the DP encourages and stimulates my natural inclination to tell the story visually whilst remaining true to the heart of each scene and the overall film. The first draft of my script was without dialogue. Once I had my narrative and the visauls told the story, I allowed the characters speak..

I believe that cinema can be closer to music or contempoary poetry and I am seeking a DP who shares my vision for this film..

I understand that I have given you very little to base your initial replies on but I would appreciate hearing your opinions on finding the right DP/director relationship.

thanks

PS I have written and directed 2 short films

PPS. Some films of note for various reasons

Hukkle - gyorgy palfi

Dekalog - Kieslowski

Loves of a Blonde - Milos Foreman

The Return - andrey zvyagintsey

Amores Perros/21 grammes - alejandro gonzalez inarritu

Werkmiester Harmonies - Bela Tarr

Ratcatcher - Lynne Ramsey

The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Sergio Leone

Code Unknown - Michael Haneke

Les amants du Pont-Neuf - Leos Carax

Nil By Mouth - Gary Oldman

• Premium Member
PPS. Some films of note for various reasons

Hukkle - gyorgy palfi

Dekalog - Kieslowski

Loves of a Blonde - Milos Foreman

The Return - andrey zvyagintsey

Amores Perros/21 grammes - alejandro gonzalez inarritu

Werkmiester Harmonies - Bela Tarr

Ratcatcher - Lynne Ramsey

The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Sergio Leone

Code Unknown - Michael Haneke

Les amants du Pont-Neuf - Leos Carax

Nil By Mouth - Gary Oldman

You mention Kieslowskis "Dekalogue" which he had originally intended to have different directors for each of the 10 parts. Instead, he decided to direct them all himself and hired a different DP for each one.

While no relationship is perfect, I believe it is important for the two of you to be passionate about the project. Like directors, we also attempt to work on projects that we can feel good about. It doesn't always happen. But if I can work on a film that encourages me to achieve my best and pushes me into new or different directions, it's something I can be passionate about. I also look for projects that reflect my own life experiences. Films that have something I can connect with. That way my contribution to the project can be informed by my experiences that will in turn help me to create unique images.