If using exterior of building, do we need release?

I agree George that if you're shooting a full on "film" with actors and crew, and you plan on being in a spot for quite a while, then permits are a good idea.

But for stock work or getting locator shots, permits are just a waste of time. I'm set up, shot, and gone, long before any cops can take any notice. They have walked past me on numerous occasions in the following cities while I was shooting from the sidewalk with no permits: New York (including Manhatten), DC, LA, Miami, Vegas. In each case they said nothing to me and just kept walking. And I had a 35mm camera on a tri-pod with 3-4 camera and eqipment bags laying on the ground.

I got chased off by some rent a cop at a park in Miami, even though 100 people where also walking around with video cameras and shooting. I had to get a parking valet to translate what she was saying for me, who hires a rent a cop that can't speak English? Ok don't answer that.

Any way, when she was gone to the other side of the park I set up and shot any way.

Thanks to the people of Miami for letting me shoot on your property with no permits, I got the shots I needed, and I was gone. You want my butt now? Come and get me, suckers :D

R,