Reccomend an XL2 setup for me?

mushyosh

OK I was just wandering what extras you reccomend for the XL2...

Since I'm going to be completely new to the camera, I guess I'll just go with the standard package. Or is it cheaper to just get the body and choose a specific lense?

The type of filming I'll be doing will be pretty much everything. The whole range from low light indoors, to bright light action outdoors. Is the standard lense that comes with the XL2 best for this?

Could anyone give me any tips on any other kinds of lenses and what they are good for? I know thats an incredibly general question, but I just want to get an idea of what some other lenses can do i.e shoot more filmic looking video, or low light , or close ups etc.

Also, what other things should I be looking at? Does the mic that comes with the XL2 work well, or will I need to get myself an external mic?

Thanks for any help

What you're asking is too vague and too broad a question. No two shooting situations are exactly alike. The best way to gather your equipment is from shoot to shoot.

You don't want to waste your money going out and buying something you'll never use.

Jay

• Premium Member

I'd go with the standard lens and the 16x manual if you can afford it. The 16x manual is my lens of choice, but there are times when you'll need the 20x. A video monitor would certainly be something worthwhile to invest in. A good shotgun or lav mic would be better in the field than the onboard mic.

CHECK THIS OUT FOR MORE INFO

Canon is currently running a promotion if bought before june 30th the 3X wide angle lensWhich is probably the best out  has a 400 dollar rebate if bought in  conjunction with the basic package.You will certainly use both frequently and though its' a lot to fork over at once you'll get some back.If you wait the promotion will end and you will want the wide angle,,,deffinitely a set of filters,,,polarize,etc,,,and a pro mist tiffen is good too.

OK I was just wandering what extras you reccomend for the XL2...

Since I'm going to be completely new to the camera, I guess I'll just go with the standard package.  Or is it cheaper to just get the body and choose a specific lense?

The type of filming I'll be doing will be pretty much everything.  The whole range from low light indoors, to bright light action outdoors.  Is the standard lense that comes with the XL2 best for this?

Could anyone give me any tips on any other kinds of lenses and what they are good for?  I know thats an incredibly general question, but I just want to get an idea of what some other lenses can do i.e shoot more filmic looking video, or low light , or close ups etc.

Also, what other things should I be looking at?  Does the mic that comes with the XL2 work well, or will I need to get myself an external mic?

Thanks for any help

Thanks for all your tips.

I dont have the option of waiting to see what happens from shoot to shoot to buy equipment. I'll explain:

Im going to Hong Kong in a couple of months, where some of my family lives. I'm going to buy a camera there because its so much cheaper. And I want to buy the camera, and perhaps an extra lense, as well as a good mic. I have never used an XL2, but my thinking is since Im going to be in Hong Kong, use the opportunity to buy a good camera and learn from there (Im finishing a 3 year film course soon. I was an editor, but want to learn camera now so i can shoot my own films)

People have been telling me the 16X lense or the Wide angle lense.

Could you please explain roughly what these lenses are good for, and what kind of shooting you would use them for?

To help you narrow it down: I'm going to be using the camera almost totally for filming short films, so will be using mostly the 25p mode (PAL). So I want a lense that is going to help me with the film look. Also, I will be doing alot of indoor shooting i.e inside houses with people talking to each other.

I dont know if that helps at all. Is there a book on the XL2 I can buy for info so I am more clued in?

• Premium Member
People have been telling me the 16X lense or the Wide angle lense. 

Could you please explain roughly what these lenses are good for, and what kind of shooting you would use them for?

To help you narrow it down:  I'm going to be using the camera almost totally for filming short films, so will be using mostly the 25p mode (PAL).  So I want a lense that is going to help me with the film look.  Also, I will be doing alot of indoor shooting i.e inside houses with people talking to each other.

I dont know if that helps at all.  Is there a book on the XL2 I can buy for info so I am more clued in?

The 16x manual servo lens is a calibrated manual lens giving you the ability to accurately pull focus and be able to zoom quickly- the calibrated zoom and focus are remarkable. The 20x lens is a vast improvement over the 16x standard lens that came with the XL1s, however I still think the 16x manual is the lens to use over the 20x. The 3x lens is a wide angle. It has a wider angle of view than the other lens.

It will take time for you to get used to shooting if this is your first time. You'll try some things, you won't like it, so you won't do it again. You try some things, like it, and incorporate that into other shoots. The only suggestion I can give you is set up the camera to your liking (custom presets, etc.), USE the zebra lines, and USE the light meter.

Good luck.

another question about the standard 20 lense vs the 16

I hear that the 16X servo is alot more tricky to use than the 20X, and that you might get tired of constantly twiddling away when shooting. Is there some sort of option to switch the 16X lense into a more automatic mode like the 20X ??