Diopters or close up filters

Hey everyone
I was just wondering what your thoughts were as to what type of diopters or filters were used to achieve this effect that Reed Morano got in Meadowland.
I'm looking for a similar look for an upcoming shoot so any advice would be great.
I know she shot anamorphic but I also know that she did use a filter for this shot also.
Many thanks!

post-38461-0-61147100-1443702646_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Many anamorphic lenses don't focus as closely as spherical primes resulting in needing a diopter to get really close. It's not to create a look, though a diopter is not optically perfect so you may get a little more distortions like chromatic aberrations and a bit of softness. The shallower focus just comes from focusing closer.

In terms of this effect I just meant that I knew Reed said she wanted the focus to really fall off dramatically and used Dipoters for these type shots in the film, I just haven't played around with them much and was wondering if you could tell what type or strength just from this image but that makes sense thanks David.

Thanks for your help!

• Premium Member

With normal single element diopters shooting wide open, I would expect to see more chromatic aberration on high contrast edges. So that shot must have been done with a close focus lens or the Zeiss Master Diopters which are multi-element and APO corrected. I'm guessing the former, maybe something like the new Cooke 2x Anamorphic 65mm Macro?