Green tint in films

I have seen in a lot of films specially in scene's shot in car parking areas there is a greenish tint in the frame, kind of in matrix. How do v get that on a canon Xl1, is that with some filters on camera, by lighting methods or on post.

When I want green tint in my pictures, I usually put 1/2 green - 1/1 green filter on the lamps. But these lamps I usuall only light the surrounding walls etc. If there is fluorenscent lamps in the car park, you can put green filters on these. Just cut out enough filter to wrap it around the tube.

The key light should not have green filters on them. That's what I think anyway. I don't like so see actor's faces all green. You can use black flags, black wrap etc. to take away unwanted spill from your green lamps.

Edited by Lars.Erik

• Premium Member
I have seen in a lot of films specially in scene's shot in car parking areas there is a greenish tint in the frame, kind of in matrix. How do v get that on a canon Xl1, is that with some filters on camera, by lighting methods or on post.

Here's a thread where they talk about the process used to create the look of the film, "Amelie" which had a beautiful green cast to the color palette.

http://tinyurl.com/cp847

• Premium Member
I have seen in a lot of films specially in scene's shot in car parking areas there is a greenish tint in the frame

First find a car park lit by Cool White fluorescents (you can tell by eye -- they are cyanish, not warm like tungstens) or mercury vapor discharge lighting (again, that blue green color, not yellow or orange like sodium lights). Then set your camera's color balance manually to tungsten so it won't try and correct out the blue-green color of the lights. Or white balance under a tungsten light (same thing.) To exaggerate it even more, white balance under a (white) tungsten light but with a pink (magenta) gel over the lens (Minus-Green correction gel but anything pink will do) I've even done it by white-balancing off of a pink page in a script. The resulting shot will be shifted to the opposite of pink, i.e. green.

• Premium Member
i'll be doing this in a room not a very big one with 3 kino flows in hand, what could be the possible light setup with the green look i wanted.

Well, first you may want to use Cool White tubes rather than Kino tubes, because of the green in the Cool Whites. Make sure your camera is manually set for tungsten-balance.

You can alway add green gels (Plus Green) to the lights.