Hey guys,

I've loved The Leftovers since season 1, but season 2 has just aired its second episode and I remain stunned by the cinematography, which is now done by Michael Grady (Todd McMullen for most of season 1). It's shot on the Alexa, but it looks SO distinct from everything and anything else I've seen shot on the Alexa, it feels like there's some kind of film grain added because there's a very real and vivid texture to the image, a real patina, the colors pop, but not in a harsh digital way, it doesn't look overly digital, it just really stands out, the lighting also looks beautiful, very colorful.

I know they use Primos on this, but I wonder what anyone else think about this, any idea on the film grain or the look they're getting? I'm a film guy mainly, and the only stuff that impressed me on digital so far has been Skyfall, Prisoners, Sicario, A Most Violent Year (yet to see Selma, shot by Bradford Young as well), Drive, Elysium, The Social Network, Gone Girl, Her, Nightcrawler, The Revenant and The Leftovers.

Edited by Manu Delpech

• 5 weeks later...

I've been watching this too and I'm hooked. It's so good! I think the prettiest thing on TV is The Knick, but I have to say the recent stuff coming from Alexa photographed shows are pretty fantastic. That episode on Sunday that ended in the extreme close ups of the two women was really stunning.