14-168mm f1.9 Fujinon lens T1.9 ?

James Ewen

Guest jeremy edge
Has anybody ever used, seen, tested, bought one of these lenses? It looks almost too good to be true.

Searched it on ebay...it certainly looks awesome!

fast and with a bit of zoom range!

Pretty good pice too.

• Premium Member
Searched it on ebay...it certainly looks awesome!

fast and with a bit of zoom range!

Pretty good pice too.

I'm a bit skeptical. Usually with zoom lenses, there has to be some sort of compromise between sharpness (image quality in general), speed, zoom range, and breathing of the lens. Since both zoom range and speed are good, I wonder what was sacrificed to get that. Optics is always a game of compromises, especially with the complexities of zoom lenses.

This makes me wonder...

Can someone do this to any Fujinon lens?

Or for that matter any 2/3' broadcast quality lens?

How easy is to change the mounts on 2/3' broadcast lenses?

How good is the image quality of broadcast video lenses for S16?

Especially compared to the great S16 lenses out there?

Does it cut well with the S16 primes?

Is it actually worth it in the end to use converted video lenses on S16 cameras?

Or is this a very bad idea altogether?

By the way for anyone who's curious...

If my powers of assumption serve me well...we're talking about this item on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7518643273&rd=1

Can someone do this to any Fujinon lens?

Or for that matter any 2/3' broadcast quality lens?

How easy is to change the mounts on 2/3' broadcast lenses?

How good is the image quality of broadcast video lenses for S16?

Is it actually worth it in the end to use converted video lenses on S16 cameras?

Les Bosher can fix a universal mount to any lens I think (www.lesbosher.co.uk).

I do believe that the very lovely 11-165mm Canon started out as a video lens.

I agree with Mr Keth that a huge zoom is not always a fine thing but the trade off can sometimes be justified to a point; Many wildlife guys are using the shockingly slow Canon 150-600mm f5.6 but the tradeoff on aperture is compensated by the fact that you have most of the long range covered without having to change lenses midway through the action.

The Fujinon lens though I cannot vouch for and my question really was had anybody used one of these in particular with a S16 camera.

Les Bosher can fix a universal mount to any lens I think (www.lesbosher.co.uk).

I do believe that the very lovely 11-165mm Canon started out as a video lens.

The Fujinon lens though I cannot vouch for and my question really was had anybody used one of these in particular with a S16 camera.

Yeah but I'm wondering

Can a 2/3' broadcast lens cover S16?

Isn't 2/3' video format supposed to be smaller than S16?

Eitherways

I'm interested in knowing if video lenses can be decent S16 lenses

Because it might be an affordable option.

Does anyone have any inputs on this?

Thanks

Optex has conversions of some Canon zooms, I haven't used them but they have a good reputation. The liberal zoom range esp how far they go on the long end has an obvious appeal for wildlife, sports, etc.

Some Canon and Angenieux zooms are 'cross-platform' (film/video) designs really.

But it's not just a B4 / PL mount question, the rear focal distance is much greater for 3 chip video cameras. There may be more elements in the video zoom, to get the longer rfd and correct for spherical & chromatic aberrations (so would be overcorrected if used unmodified on a film camera).

-Sam

Some Canon and Angenieux zooms are 'cross-platform' (film/video) designs really.

But it's not just a B4 / PL mount question, the rear focal distance is much greater for 3 chip video cameras. There may be more elements in the video zoom, to get the longer rfd and correct for spherical & chromatic aberrations (so would be overcorrected if used unmodified on a film camera).

-Sam

So what type of video lens are best to convert for S16mm use?

What would anyone recommend?

I am very attracted to their wide zoom range options

on both the wide angle and the telephoto side.

So does anyone know of some good video lens

That can be reasonable converted to S16mm and have decent image quality?

Hi,

I bought a 2/3 to super 16 conversion mount with cable from Century Optics that enables me to use any 2/3 lens with my Aaton XTR and utilize the zoom function and the lens start/stop button as well. It's really incredible because a whole world of plentiful lenses are now available to use. It's a well built beautiful converter that mounts between the camera and lens. They sold converters for Arri, Aaton one or two others for $2500.00. I'm not sure they still have them but

it's a great item. I believe NFL Films purchased a bunch of them as well.

Jim

Hi again,

Century does still sell this item so here is some info on it. First is the link but I also copied & pasted the info. The photo on the page is not the item but I can take a photo if anyone is interested and email it to you.

http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/film...transformer.htm

2/3" Video to Super 16 Transformer

Use 2/3" video lenses on Super 16 cameras. Century's 2/3" Video to Super 16 Transformer allows filmmakers to use broadcast-quality 2/3" video zooms on Super 16 cameras including Arri SR, SR2, SR3 and Aaton.

The compact and lightweight Transformer operates through optical compensation, eliminateing the need to modify the lens. A cable (included) allows servo zooming with the original zoom lens' rocker control. The Transformer is available in Arri PL, Arri Bayonet & Aaton mounts.

Stock Numbers:

Arri PL: XA-TV16-AL

Arri B: XA-TV16-AB

Aaton: XA-TV16- AA

List Price:

Arri PL: $2,500

Arri B: $2,500

Aaton: $2,500

Aloha,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim...

I'm interested in knowing what exactly does this adapter do...

Does it work like a special extender...

Since to my knowledge 2/3' video lens won't cover the S16 frame...

Or does it just modify the B4 mount to adapt to a film camera?

How does the video lenses you use look when used on film?

Is it just as good as using some standard cine lenses? Or is it worse?

Thanks for the advice...and sorry for all the questions. :)

Hi,

It goes between the lens and the camera and I assume the optics that are in this converter adjust for the image to bring it up to Super 16. The cable that comes with it allows you to use zoom and start/stop functions with your specific camera. The quality of the image is dependent on the lens you use. It really is a fantastic item. It mounts on the camera just like a lens so it can be removed in a second to use cine lenses if you have them.

Jim

Hi

I am led to believe that the lens started out in the 1980's as a tv lens that was used on cameras with a 2 inch receptor ( don't know what system) but it does cover 35mm, I actually own one- which is why I know. Cheers

Rob

Hi

I am led to believe that the lens started out in the 1980's as a tv lens that was used on cameras with a 2 inch receptor ( don't know what system) but it does cover 35mm, I actually own one- which is why I know. Cheers

Rob

Does the conversion still give you 14mm at the wide end, or is it like a doubler, so that the wide becomes something more like 28mm? (and do you lose a stop or two?)

how's the optical quality compared to a run-of-the-mill Ang. or Cooke zoom?

• 7 months later...