High Contrast - Rich Saturated Colors

We are planning a Short for this summer in northern Spain, it is a road movie with lots of sunny exteriors and an "Old Red Mercedes" as another character.

We are aiming for an "almost" reversal look with high contrast and deep rich saturated colors (reds, yellows and oranges: art direction wise). We would rather go the negative way: Kodak 5246 (EXR50D) and 5248 (Vision 250D). But we do not want a warm, burn-out look you could get with Bleach Bypass in the negative or the prints. We want a blue Sky and real greens.

Appart from polas, enhacers and ultracon filters, and working out the colors in the timing... Do you suggest any other aproach? We have some Interiors as well that must match the overall "look" of the film...

Thanks

• Premium Member

EXR 50D is 5245, EXR 100T is 5248, and Vision 250D is 5246. Make sure you are ordering the right stocks!

Printing on Vision Premier will help a lot to get more contrast and saturation.

Overexposing and printing down will help.

I've even considered, instead of overexposing, is pushing one stop without underexposing to compensate. This will get you more density than normal and more contrast, which may punch up the colors. I've never tried it though.

EXR 50D is 5245, EXR 100T is 5248, and Vision 250D is 5246. Make I've even considered, instead of overexposing, is pushing one stop without underexposing to compensate. This will get you more density than normal and more contrast, which may punch up the colors. I've never tried it though.

This is related to the posts in the other thread. I've done this with 74, it works pretty well.

But I don't think the Vision stock are affected by a push all that dramatically, it just helps.

-Sam

I'd shoot '45 and give a hearty push while still giving a lot of exposure. Perhaps rate it at 80 or 100 and push one and a half stops.

I once exposed '93 at 250 and pushed two stops. It had a look somewhere between 'normal' and cross-processed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all!

Sorry for the mismatching numbers...

We will make some test prior to shooting with 5245 and the options you said (first option slightly overexposed ISO 32 and, second option, underexposing a full stop and push in the lab).

Anyway inside the car I think I will need the 250 ISO (5246) with the Enhacing Filter on and burning about 2 stops the outside, hope they will match in terms of saturation...