Hi,

I worked on a little independant film in Montreal... (which has top-notch visual effects in it) It's been released in Montreal last week. And to my surprise, IT'S AMAZING!

The movie's getting really REALLY positive reviews.

And I agree... One of the best french Canadian film in a decade...

Best film Quebecois since Leolo... and since Leolo got an amazing response internationally (its in the new top 100 of time magazine), I expect no less from this one. It's really that good.

It shares a strong resemblance with Ang Lee's The Icestorm, which I love !!

Here's the summary from IMDB:

It's a story of two love affairs. A father's love for his five sons. And one son's love for his father, a love so strong it compels him to live a lie. That son is Zac Beaulieu, born on the 25th of December 1960, different from all his brothers, but desperate to fit in. During the next 20 years, life takes Zac on a surprising and unexpected journey that ultimately leads him to accept his true nature and, even more importantly, leads his father to love him for who he really is. A mystical fable about a modern-day Christ-like figure, "C.R.A.Z.Y" exudes the beauty, the poetry and the madness of the human spirit in all its contradictions.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401085/

Trailer at: http://www.cinemamontreal.com/aw/trailer.a...A.Z.Y.&i=100803

All the characters are treated with respect, yet the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat just with quality and power of the dialogue!

I don't know when it will be released in the States and the U.K, but I'm sure it will.

In montreal, it's reached top 2 at the box-office, just under Star Wars episode III!

It probably won't get an oscar nomination cuz it doesn't have Denys Arcand's name in the credits.... but still...lol

I've never been so proud of a film I'd worked on... And I've worked on Peter Pan, Sin City and other popular films.

So if you ever come across the title in the papers or whatever... don't miss this!

Ben

Par for the course I think. They'll take the story and use American actors.

The French version will be seen in Quebec and that's it. Even the rest of Canada would prefer an American version, that's just the way it is.

Look what the Hollywood folks did with the UKs "The Office." They just made an American version with USA actors.

Damn funny too I might add.

R,

I know the public wants remakes.... most of the time.

But I dunno... they're also missing something...

Abre los ojos and Vanilla Sky is a very good example...

Same story, different countries, different cultures, different languages.... In the original version, U get to familiarize yourself with the spanish life-style... its refreshing. For me its worth the subtitles (distraction).

What makes C.R.A.Z.Y good is not only the main story, its the cultural background, the history, the fall of the religious state in Quebec, the Quiet Revolution in Montreal. You'd lose all of that in the remake... its sad. More importantly, you'd lose Jean Marc Vallé's fantastic direction.

He's worked in the U.S before, but I"m sure he doesn't want to remake C.R.A.Z.Y.

Sometimes remakes are better than the original version.... sometimes they're just as good... But I dont think C.R.A.Z.Y is remake-material... The same way you wouldnt try to remake Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Amelie.. Or Lauzon's Leolo... Or Fellini's 8 1/2, Cuaron's Y tu mama tambien. Its too eccentric, unique or culturally specific... And the american public has embraced these films in their original version.

Ben

Edited by Benny_the_kid

• Premium Member

Hi,

> I know the public wants remakes.

Careful. Americans want remakes, and because they control what the big LA companies choose to distribute worldwide, it's what we get. It isn't necessarily what we want.

Phil

GOOD NEWS:

Films Distribution Europe and MC bought the distribution rights for the movie... Its not settled for the U.S and Japan yet, but apparently they're not doing a remake after all.

Still no release date for the UK, France, Germany or Italy... but it'll be released.. it's official now...

Cheerios

Ben

Yes, I agree C.R.A.Z.Y. is, for me, one if not the best french Canadian film in the decade or more.

Et oui, Ben, the film make me think about Ang Lee's "Icestorm" for the mood. The casting was just perfect for all the characteres.

Also Ben, you did not mentioned how good the music choice is and just perfect to give the mood of the 60's and 70's; may be it is for me, I'm born 9 days after the main charactere Zac.

A must see for all film lovers, you won't regret it.

p.s.: You can be prood of this one, no doubt.

Yeah... the music was excellent...

Im still trying to figure out why EVERYBODY loves this film... Dont get me wrong.. I love it... But I havent read ONE SINGLE review where they didnt give it 4 stars MINIMUM... and the general public loves it too... Ive never seen this before...

And yeah the actors are BRILLANT! I was so impressed by the director`s son, Emile... He plays Zac (6 year old)... Marc Andre Grondin...Michel Cote... I mean they`re all brillant.

It's like Jean Marc Vallée achieved something extraordinary... Smtg everybody can relate to for some reason... Maybe its the humor, the father-son relationship... the reality of it... I dunno... Its surprising.. you know.. having a movie that deals with complex relationships, repressed homosexuality and family dynamics that appeals to everybody. Smtg that is both really subtle and very accessible. Anyway... Cant wait to share with this film with rest of the world....

Im so happy for Jean Marc V., he got there you know... Made a movie he`s REALLY proud of.

But it must be so weird for all the people on this forum.. cuz they dont know what the hell we`re talking about yet... Surprised 300 people read the post!

As soon as the release dates are out... I'll tell you guys

Cheerios

Ben

Edited by Benny_the_kid

Par for the course I think.  They'll take the story and use American actors.

The French version will be seen in Quebec and that's it.  Even the rest of Canada would prefer an American version, that's just the way it is.

Look what the Hollywood folks did with the UKs "The Office."  They just made an American version with USA actors.

Damn funny too I might add.

R,

But it will never be the same film, however.

Phil wrote: "Careful. Americans want remakes, and because they control what the big LA companies choose to distribute worldwide, it's what we get. It isn't necessarily what we want."

I really hope so, if not, it will be an attack to your intelligence. Have a chance to see the real C.R.A.Z.Y. first.