Sony DV CAM DSR 570, any good?

Vedran Rupich

I´m going to shot a music video, the camera at my disposal will be the

Sony DV CAM DSR 570, has anyone here had any experience with it?

Is it any good?

quality? functions? limitations?

all advice is wamly welcomed.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yeah, until the SDX-900 it was the best DVCAM camera available - and the SDX is really a DVCPRO-50 camera, and not really in the same competition.

It has all the standard features of a decent video camera, so all the advice on this board for them will be relevant.

Phil

• Premium Member
I´m going to shot a music video, the camera at my disposal will be the

Sony DV CAM DSR 570, has anyone here had any experience with it?

Is it any good?

quality? functions? limitations?

all advice is wamly welcomed.

I've used it a bunch. It's got native 16x9 chips but only 60i, so you'll have to do your film-aping all in post. It's got the same menu structure as the DVW-700/790 so if that's familiar to you, you'll be right as rain. If it's not, try to get your hands on Paul Wheelers book, "Digital Cinematography" in which he takes you on a pretty thorough tour of the Sony menu structure.

Used it a lot. The biggest minus with it, is that it hasn't got any knee or flair setup. So you have to watch your highlights when you setup your light fixture. I don\t use the DCC on this cam. Don't like the way it compresses the highlights. But see for yourself. Use switch it on and off. See if you like it or not.

And it's important for this camera to let it know what kind of lens your using. It states in the manual which number you should use. If you don't have a manual, let me know, I've got it and I'll let you know.

But it's a pretty good DVCAM camera. Also personally, I think the pictures are too clear. You might want to soften in up by using ProMost or taking it down to 24P in post.

Good luck with your music video

Edited by Lars.Erik