7218 in super 8

Guest Relentless Filmaker

I have heard that KODAK offers 7218 stock, for super 8. Im wondering how big a difference it will look on a telivision, than 16. Has anybody tried this stock out yet. Any clips online?

• Premium Member
I have heard that KODAK offers 7218 stock, for super 8. Im wondering how big a difference it will look on a telivision, than 16. Has anybody tried this stock out yet. Any clips online?

Softer and grainier would be my guess -- it IS a quarter the surface area of a 16mm frame afterall... and 500 ASA to boot.

Aside from comparison to 16mm, it looks better than you would expect from a 500ASA frame that size. It looks sharp and clean running on my computer moniter, nothing looks good on my cheap TV. If you carry it in a high platform and broadcast, or press to DVD you can get some amazing results if thats the aesthetic you want. here's a freeze frame pic from WinMM, captured with sony vegas from miniDV, telecine was Flying Spot.

MusicFestNW500T_0010.jpg

Thanks Scratch, that is so cool man. I mean I know that the frame is smaller than 16, but thats what Im talking about, if you only plan on presenting it on the internet or on a tv screen hows it look. Is there anyway I could see some actual footage? I am so curious, but I appreciate you showing me your frame grab. It makes me want more.

I see a lot of applications for a 500 speed super 8 stock but the infrastructure for negative super 8 isn't there for me yet (I can get the reversal done locally practically overnight at a low cost). That frame grab of Skratch's looks great.

Relentless, you can find some frame grabs from super-duper 8 feature Sleep Always at the bottom of the friendlyfirefilms home page. I think super 8 can look great on the small screen.

Rick

if you only plan on presenting it on the internet or on a tv screen hows it look.

If you want to use it for something serious or mainstream, carry it through in digi beta and use the right compression in post, it will look awsome. The film seems under rated to me.. It's not a replacement for 16mm or DV, but has a lot of potential just being it's own thing.