effects without filters

siddharth diwan

• Premium Member
I really like the look of an antique suede but the problem is its not available here so how do i get that look?, is there a lighting techinique or cud be done in post.

Sure, there are lots of yellowish warming filters -- you could use something like an 81EF, for example, and tweak it in post to get the exact shade you want. Or a Coral filter, like a 1/4 or 1/2. Or Gold, etc. Lots of warm colors available -- you'd just need to push it towards the particular shade you want by adding more yellow, magenta, red, green, whatever in post.

Sure, there are lots of yellowish warming filters -- you could use something like an 81EF, for example, and tweak it in post to get the exact shade you want. Or a Coral filter, like a 1/4 or 1/2. Or Gold, etc. Lots of warm colors available -- you'd just need to push it towards the particular shade you want by adding more yellow, magenta, red, green, whatever in post.

if instead of using coral is just do it on post wil the effect be the same or it will be better using coral.

• Premium Member
if instead of using coral is just do it on post wil the effect be the same or it will be better using coral.

You can do it in post as well, or by faking out the white balance of the camera (like white balancing on a white card but with a 1/2 CTB gel temporarily over the lens.)

I think for a minor tint, all the techniques (filter, white balance, post) all work equally well. I think for any strong tint, it can be harder to nail it without a filter but possible. For a really heavy color effect, you can pick up artifacts if trying to push a normal image in post too far, mainly because DV is such a compressed format with limited color information. In that case, a filter may be better.

• Premium Member
the idea is to get a very light tint something like the green in matrix or even lighter than that and to make it look clean not to just put a plate of some colour and make everything get a look of that colour

All filters, in camera or in post, affect the frame evenly. That's what "The Matrix" did anyway, timed the image on the green side. Sometimes they lit the scene with greenish uncorrected fluorescents.

What you can do in post is pull out select colors (with the right software.) So besides making the scene look green, you can remove some red from an object in the frame if necessary. But getting the look through production design and lighting is much more effective, because then you can be more subtle in the color-correction or filtering.