day for night on a house boat

Guest rajavel

Guest rajavel

hi

how do i get a night effect for a birthday party sequence happening on a house boat. the shots will include a song and dance sequence within boat as well as the exterior shots of the boat wading through the back waters.

how can i light the artists inside the boat . wat temp lights.

how can i shoot the exterior with the scenic beauty outside...almost like moon lit

how many NDs do i need to add if i have to shoot this throughout day

what stock would u suggest. will be shooting on a arri 435.

thanks a lot

raj

hi

how do i get a night effect for a birthday party sequence happening on a house boat. the shots will include a song and dance sequence within boat as well as the exterior shots of the boat wading through the back waters.

how can i light the artists inside the boat . wat temp lights.

how can i shoot the exterior with the scenic beauty outside...almost like moon lit

how many NDs do i need to add if i have to shoot this throughout day

what stock would u suggest. will be shooting on a arri 435.

thanks a lot

raj

You have a difficult situation.

first question I would ask is the party of people inside the boat and treat it like and interior or on deck like an exterior.

Some things I would think about would be can I do wide shots of the boat at magic hour with the already set sun horizon in the background. ND grads at the top of the frame or power windows grading for video transfer might help.

If the scene is inside the boat, can you do the close ups at night with chinese lanterns or small kinos or tungsten?

If they are on the deck and it is like an exterior, can you take lessons from the older Hollywood westerns where they did day for night all the time. Usually the sun and the actors backs and underexposed and probably a filter or two some one else better than I could recommend. You would always have to move the boat so that the sun would be somewhat backlit or 3/4 back lit.

I wouldn't shoot if the sun wasn't out if you followed that idea. You would get mush if it were cloudy. And of course you may try a number of methods to create a blueish cast to your shots.

You may want to do a test to determine what ever method you choose, works.

Use slow speed films and use NDs for the look of DOF you wanted. Tungsten balanced film without 85B will help you in giving much Bluer look and underexpose them. Shoot most of the interior scenes in the boat during the whole day with respect to the angle of the sun. For exhibiting shot like ELS,LS there is no other choice you have to shoot in the goldern hour or in the night.

Use tungsten lamps take care that the lamps are brighter then the exterior if you commit the exterior because it should be darker then the interior.

Practice some test with your still because the producer will not allow you to make any test in the motion picture film I think.

May I know the name of the feature film, Iam a fan of malayalam films.

See wheather it works. Best of Luck.

L.K.Keerthi basu

Guest rajavel
Use slow speed films and use NDs for the look of DOF you wanted.  Tungsten balanced film without  85B will help you in giving much Bluer look and underexpose them.  Shoot most of the interior scenes in the boat during the whole day with respect to the angle of the sun.  For exhibiting shot like ELS,LS there is  no other choice you have to shoot in the goldern hour or in the night.

Use tungsten lamps take care that the lamps are brighter then the exterior if you  commit the exterior because  it should be darker then the interior.

Practice some test with your still because the producer will not allow you to make any test in the motion picture film I think.

May I know the name of the feature film, Iam a fan of malayalam films.

See wheather it works. Best of Luck.

L.K.Keerthi basu

not yet decided on this. i am trying to hunt for different looks ...out of which i might decide and sugggest to director. will let u know what we finallly did. anyway the film name is 'by the people' its a sequel to the '4 the people' film.