Did i screw myself over? Need help quick.

I recently shot a very dark bar scene with a Aaton LTR54 super16 cam and 7218 stock. I didnt know the shutter angle for exposure so i just set the light meter to 500ASA at 24FPS. How accurate do you think my light meter reading is? Does anyone know the shutter angle of this cam?

• Premium Member

If you have a light meter than can be set to 24 fps, it will usually assume 180 degress unless you set otherwise, so unless your camera's shutter was set to something other than 180 degrees, you probably exposed correctly.

Does anyone know the shutter angle of this cam?

It's 180 degree shutter.

I've got an Aaton LTR54 and it's just like every other Aaton Camera

(Actually the XTRProd has an adjustable shutter but it's usually at 180 degrees)

Why would you think it is otherwise?

Most S16 cameras have 180 degree shutters

Except for the Eclair ACL which has a strange occilating shutter...

(Some CP16 cameras have a bowtie shutter

But when you add that together it's still 180 degrees)

Anyways like other people said

You don't have to worry about overexposing or underexposing 7218

If it's by less than a stop.

Eitherways you're footage will be fine so relax.

• Premium Member

Cinematographers have found the Kodak VISION2 to have tremendous latitude. Even with one stop underexposure, you'd only see a slight loss of shadow detail. It would take several stops of overexposure to even begin to see any adverse effect on highlight detail.

• Premium Member
Cinematographers have found the Kodak VISION2 to have tremendous latitude.  Even with one stop underexposure, you'd only see a slight loss of shadow detail.  It would take several stops of overexposure to even begin to see any adverse effect on highlight detail.

I worked on a feature a couple of months ago where we shot 5274 and 5218 and exposed everything 2 stops under. It's going through a DI, but the dailies held up pretty well. Some of it was pretty dark (too dark in my opinion), but they should be able to bring up what they need to in the DI. When we first started I was pretty scared about underexposing that much (not my choice of course as I was the operator), but both stocks held up very well and I liked the look. I like deep blacks and high contrast though, so others may not like it as much as me.